Education & Background
Receiving both his B.A. (magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa) and J.D. degrees from the University of Southern California, he has more than 32 years of business transactions experience in a wide array of matters.
The matters handled by Todd involve a diverse array of legal issues and business needs. He has served clients with issues involving healthcare, hotel and shopping center development, Internet start-ups, outdoor advertising, wineries, copyright disputes, technology licensing, complex financings and international joint ventures. These matters have been handled throughout the United States and in foreign countries as distant as China, Korea and Italy.
Following is a representative sampling of the types of matters Todd has addressed:
- Represented the fifth largest billboard company in the United States in all aspects of its legal representation, including the implementation of a national roll-up strategy that involved the acquisition of more than 60 separate entities over a four year period, resulting in the ultimate sale of the client’s business entities for more than $610 million.
- Represented a series of hotel ownership and hotel management companies in the acquisition and sale of more than 35 hotel and resort properties throughout the United States, with transaction values in excess of $50 million.
- Representation of a shopping center development company in the acquisition, financing and divestiture of community shopping centers throughout the Western United States, including Hawaii.
- Representation of a national Christian retail marketing group comprised of more than 240 member stores in all aspects of corporate operations, including intellectual property development and protection.
- Representation of the world’s top-ranked professional cycling team.
- Representation in all legal matters affecting an internationally-recognized entity with more than 1,200 employees providing educational services to persons with learning disabilities in 38 centers in the United States and the United Kingdom, including the development and preservation of intellectual property assets throughout the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
- Regular representation of healthcare entities with mergers, acquisitions and compliance.
- Regularly represents business entities in financing transactions, including domestic and foreign syndicated financing instruments providing credit facilities in excess of $250 million annually.
- Representation of more than 300 start-up entities in all aspects of business planning, entity formation, financing and business counseling.
- Regular representation of entrepreneurs seeking to market unique products or services.
- Regular representation of numerous non-profit foundations and other charitable organizations in formation and operational issues, including a foundation providing international support for children with learning disabilities.
- Lecturing and speaking to professional organizations and business groups on a regular basis on a variety of topics, including employment law issues, intellectual property matters, venture capital financing and corporate compliance.
Business & Community
Todd serves on the Board of Directors of Founders Community Bank. He is a former Adjunct Professor of Business Law at California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, California.