On the front lines of some of the most significant legal cases litigated in California
When the stakes are very high, that is when Gordon Bosserman likes to get involved. A former UCLA football player, Gordon has never avoided confrontation, and he has been on the front lines of some of the most significant legal cases litigated in California. Earning the honor of a “Super Lawyer” in Southern California, Gordon has been the trial attorney many Fortune 500 businesses have turned to in virtually every type of business dispute, including class action litigation. Although he is now practicing full-time on the Central Coast, Gordon continues to litigate high-stakes cases throughout the state.
Gordon Bosserman recently relocated to the Central Coast from Los Angeles where he was formerly an International Partner of Baker & McKenzie. He was a resident partner in Baker and McKenzie’s Los Angeles, California Office where he was Chairman of its Litigation and Employment Law Departments. Gordon graduated from UCLA in 1971 with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in History and from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles in 1975. While at UCLA, he was a member of the Varsity Football and Rugby Teams and in 1968 was named to the All PAC 8 Football Team. Gordon is also the immediate past President of the Friends of (UCLA) Bruin Rugby.
An experienced litigator, Gordon has extensive bench and trial experience in a wide range of areas of law. He has tried cases involving employment claims, insurance bad faith, wrongful death, lawyer malpractice, real estate broker malpractice, fraud, breach of contract, breach of sales contract for real property, civil RICO, breach of oil and gas leases, defamation, misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, interference with prospective economic advantage, slander and libel.
With respect to employment law, Gordon has tried jury cases to a verdict involving claims of race, age, gender and disability discrimination, wrongful discharge in violation of public policy, including “whistle blower” claims, sexual harassment and hostile environment, constructive discharge, and breach of express and implied contract. Gordon has also handled actions involving claims of unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of consulting agreements, and theft of employer property and funds. In addition to his extensive bench and jury trial and arbitration experience, Gordon has also represented employers in proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, as well as in wage and hour proceedings before the California Department of Labor Enforcement and in benefits disputes before the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Gordon also regularly advises employers with respect to employment compliance issues, including training on discrimination and sexual harassment and the preparation and updating of employment policies and handbooks.
- Gordon was the lead trial counsel for Blue Cross of California in Wilson v. Blue Cross, 222 Cal.App.3d 660, 271 Cal.Rptr. 876 (1990), and successfully obtained a defense verdict in that action for wrongful death and insurance bad faith which had a significant impact on the insurance industry in the managed care area.
- Gordon has also handled a variety of class actions. The following is a sampling of the class actions he has handled:
- Timothy J. v. LA County: State Court action by group of public interest law firms and State of California against County of Los Angeles, Department of Children Services over alleged failure to make all home calls required by California law and regulations.
- Harder v. Blue Cross: State Court action by group of dentists over preferred provider contract establishing network of dentists.
- O’Connor v. Blue Cross: State Court action over charges under certain contracts and increases in such charges and how they were made.
- Pickett v. Blue Cross: State Court action over limitations used by health care insurer for certain specific types of medical conditions.
- Farquhar v. Blue Cross: State Court action over limitations used by health care insurer for certain specific types of medical conditions.
- Steinmetz v. Blue Cross: State Court action over use by health care insurer of pregnancy limitation.
- Coe v. Anna’s Linens: State Court action alleging wage and hour violations, including over time and meal penalties.
Gordon is a member of the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), an organization made up of some of the finest and most prominent trial lawyers in the nation. He also belongs to Super Lawyers, the Association of Southern California Defense Counsel, and to the Employment section of the State Bar Association. He is the Vice President of the Central Coast Bruins (UCLA Alumni Association), the past president of the Friends of Bruin Rugby, and a ROTARY member.