Education & Background
After graduating from Stanford University and UCLA Law School, Dave practiced in Los Angeles with Manatt, Phelps, Rothenberg & Tunney prior to moving to San Luis Obispo. In 1986 Dave joined the law firm of Sinsheimer, Schiebelhut & Baggett, where he became a partner in 1989 and served as managing partner of successor law firm Sinsheimer, Juhnke, McIvor & Stroh from 2001 to 2018. Following a merger in January 2019, Dave became a partner of national law firm McCormick Barstow Sheppard Wayte & Carruth, LLP.
Dave advises large and small businesses and non-profits on structural and governance issues, and represents individuals and entities in business, real estate and employment disputes. He is admitted to practice before all California State and Federal District Courts, as well as the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. Dave also represents clients before various administrative agencies, including the San Luis Obispo County Assessment Appeals Board, the California Coastal Commission, the United States Trademark Trials and Appeals Board, the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
Representative matters include:
- Obtaining defense verdict in a federal court jury trial alleging racial discrimination
- Obtaining defense verdict in a state court jury trial alleging gender discrimination
- Obtaining defense verdict in an action seeking unpaid overtime for an exempt employee
- Obtaining plaintiff verdict in a multi-party jury trial invalidating a prescriptive easement
- Obtaining plaintiff verdict in a will contest based on undue influence of a caregiver
- Serving as special counsel to Trustees in a $350 million hard-money lender bankruptcy
- Serving as co-counsel in a class action lawsuit involving oil and gas royalties
- Resolving federal and state court class action lawsuits alleging wage and hour violations
- Serving as an expert witness on governance issues in a fight over control of a non-profit
Dave was a member of the San Luis Obispo County Assessment Appeals Board from 1990-1997, and served as Chairman several times. He acted as a Judge Pro Tem and judicial arbitrator by assignment for the San Luis Obispo Superior Court, and is a member of the California State Bar and San Luis Obispo County Bar Fee Arbitration Panels. Dave regularly presents employment law seminars for clients and community organizations.
Dave is rated AV-Preeminent by the Martindale-Hubbell peer-review ratings.
Business & Community
Dave has served in leadership roles with numerous community organizations, including
- RISE San Luis Obispo Board of Directors (Current Chair)
- San Luis Obispo County Land Conservancy Board of Trustees
- San Luis Obispo Chamber Board of Directors (Current Secretary, Past Chair)
- San Luis Obispo Rotary de Tolosa (Past President)
- City of San Luis Obispo Task Force on Land Use and Circulation Element Update
- San Luis Obispo County Economic Strategy Steering Committee
- San Luis Obispo YMCA Board of Directors (Past Chair)
- San Luis Obispo County Economic Vitality Corporation Board of Directors (Past Chair)
- Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center Governing Board (Past Chair)
- San Luis Obispo County Air Transportation Alliance (Past Vice Chair)
- Rabobank Regional President’s Advisory Council
- Friends of Prado Day Center Board of Directors (Founding Director)
- San Luis Obispo Literacy Council Board of Directors (Past Chair)
- San Luis Obispo American Red Cross Board of Directors (Past Chair)
- Graduate of Leadership San Luis Obispo Class IV
- Youth Sports Coach (Soccer, Basketball, Baseball)
Dave was named San Luis Obispo Citizen of the Year in 2011.